4 In 1 ESC and traditional individual ESC which one is the best? What you should know before choosing esc for your quadcopter? Here will tell you The Advantages And Disadvantages Of 4 In 1 ESC and how to connect it with flight controller , motor and battery.
The Advantages And Disadvantages Of 4 In 1 ESC
In my opinion, everything has its strengths and weaknesses, so does 4 In 1 ESC.The Advantages:
- It’s lighter than 4 separate ESCs, Removing this weight from the arms will make it faster and easier for your drone to flip, roll and turn because there will be less weight away from the centre of mass and so less force is needed.
- It’s easier to wire, there’s only one heavy gauge power input. No power distribution board needed for even more weight savings.
- By taking the ESCs off the quadcopter arms, they are protected in the main body and are less likely to be damaged in a crash or by a prop strike. It also means that arms can be made thinner, for less air resistance.
- Only one BEC, no worry of ground loops.
- Mass centralization keeps weight close to your axis of rotation.
- Centrally located so it’s not blocking thrust from your props, provides the benefit of less wiring and a more compact overall build. This is great for smaller frames, where the ESC wiring and power distribution board add to the clutter.
- Supports BLHeli firmware, which has a huge amount of options.
- More cheaper than individual, two the price differs about $20.
- It may gets hot. It’s also not on the arms of a quad like traditional ESCs are. Many times they sit in the center of the quad, near other components, and still generate the same amount of heat as 4 individual ESCs that sit on the arms. Now they have far less airflow when placed in the same chassis in the center.
- Due to it being large, hot, and in the center of your aircraft you may run out of room. I had a HK X666 frame and there just wasn’t enough room without stacking things on top of the hot ESC. Ended up switching to a H frame.
- Central point of failure. Sure, it’s cheaper than buying 4 ESCs, but now if you blow one transistor you now have to buy an entire new Qbrain instead of one ESC.
4 in 1 ESC Connection Method
How to connect 4 in 1 ESC with flight controller , motor and battery? Follow up with a relevant example:
As you see the below image, Input S1 to S4 respectively corresponding to output the M1 – the M4, one of the plug is three lines (Black – GND, Red – + 5 v, White – Signal line).
The other three are single plug (brown, red, orange).
The color of the line are: S1-Red (single plug), S2-Orange( single plug), S3-White (three line), S4-Brown (single wire).
The throttle calibration method:
1, Put three lines plug in the third channel of receiver, calibrate the M3 esc throttle first;
2, After the completion of step 1, insert the plug in other channels, such as channel 6, the purpose is to supply power to receiver;
3, Brown, red, orange single plug, plug in the third channel of receiver in turn, respectively calibrate the M1, M2 and M4 ESC .
Below image is ESC with NAZA connection methods, please pay attention to the installation direction of electrically controlled.
Best 4 in 1 ESC
As you can see above disadvantages, there are no major issues that actually affect flight. No matter what kind of ESC you choose, the quality and brand is the key. If you make a decision to purchase traditional ESCs, this link maybe helpful for you: Most Popular And Best ESC For Racing Quadcopter Or FPV.
Now, we recommended some best 4 in 1 ESC for you as below, all of them quality is absolutely guaranteed.
DYS F30A ESC 30amp 4 in 1 BLHeli_S
- 30A 4-in-1 F30A ESC
- Input Voltage: 2-6S Lipo
- BEC Output: 5V/3A, 12V/1A (only apply to 4S, 5S, 6S, 12V/1A)
- Support Dshot150/300/600, Oneshot125/42, Multishot, PWM
- Main IC: EMF8BB21F16G SILABS, 8bit C8051, run 50MHz
Thriverline Sunrise 4 in 1 ESC 20A BLHeli-S
- BLHELI-S 4IN1 20A is designed for superior performance in multirotors, and uses hardware generated motor pwm for smooth throttle response and silent operation
- 4in1 ESC comes with LBEC 5V 12V, support regular 1-2ms pulse width input, as well as Oneshot125 (125-250us), Oneshot42 (41.7-83.3us) , Multshot (5- 25us) and Dshot
- Support 2-4s Lipo battery with small size 36*36mm and light weight
- BLHeli_S firmware is designed for superior performance in multirotors, and uses hardware generated motor pwm for smooth throttle response and silent operation
- Highlly integrated structure makes the installation and wiring simpale and clean
Crazepony BLHeli-S 4-in-1 10A Mini ESC 2-3S
- BLHELI_S 4-in-1 10A ESC has 20mm hole spacing to work with smaller flight controllers like Piko BLX. Very good for micro-size quadcopters with 1102-1105 motors, perfect on wheelbase 90-100 mini drone
- Small size 27*27mm combined with light weight only 7.5g for easy installation, the M3 mounting hole is 20mm x 20mm
- The code supports regular 1-2ms pulse width input, as well as Oneshot125 (125-250us), Oneshot42 (41.7-83.3us) , Multishot (5-25us) and Dshot. The input signal is automatically detected by the ESC upon power up
- Chips on EFM8BB21F16, 48MHZ Greatest
- BLHeli_S is designed for superior performance in multirotors, and uses hardware generated motor pwm for smooth throttle response and silent operation
Weyland Flytower F4 Flight Controller Control Competitive Edition OSD BEC 4 in 1 BlHeli 40A ESC
- 4 in 1: The FlyTower F4 board designed based OMNIBUS (BateFlight) FC and washighly integrated with OSD, BEC, 4in1BLHeli_S30A / DShot 30A ESC and VTX (25/200/400mW). It gives you all the features what you need in FPV, which makes you easily get into FPV Racing
- Easy to access connectors;Configurable ‐ Choose to use connectors;Stackable ‐ Mountour 4in1 ESC; Designed based Competitive Edition flight contoller,highly integrated with OSD, BEC, 4 in 1 BL30A ESC and 25/200/400mW Switchable VTX. Builds on tried and tested software, processor and sensor technology to make your aircraft fly like it’s on rails.
- Operation-1×4 pins JST‐SH sockets with BUZZER & WS2811 RGB LED; 1×4 pins JST‐SH socket for Video&Audio transmission; 1 IPX sockets easy connect the external antenna; 4×3 Pads for motor output;1×2 Pads for batter in easy solder Full support for OneShot 125/42 ESCs for easy PID tuning and a sharper response.Supports SBus, SumH, SumD, Spektrum1024/2048, XBus, PPM,receivers. No external inverters required (built-in)
- Professional ‐ Symmetrical, Neat and Tidy and Easy to installinany racing drone;Battery monitoring ports for voltage and current. 36*36mm form-factor with 30.5mm mounting holes and weighs just 23.3 grams.